Situated on a slight N-facing slope. It is depicted on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map and described as ‘Ribstown Fort’ in gothic lettering on both. This is a raised, subcircular, grass and scrub-covered mound (diam. of top 25m NNE-SSW; 22.5m WNW-ESE) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 6-7.5m; int. H 0.5m; ext. H 1.7m at NE to 2.3m at SW), and the remains of a fosse (at SW: Wth 3m; D 0.7m) SSW-W-NNE. The entrance may be a slight dip on the perimeter at E.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 22 November 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.