Situated on a fairly level landscape. A small circular embanked enclosure described as a ‘Fort’ is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and a hachured feature is represented on the 1908 edition. An area of about 5 acres (c. 2 ha) has elements of a relict field system consisting of platforms (dims c. 27m x c. 14m to c. 50m x c. 25m) defined by scarps (max. H 1m) separated by wide channels or drains (Wth 2-5m; D 0.3-1m) with two small ponds amongst them. One possible house site is visible as a rectangular area (dims 8m NW-SE; 5m NE-SW) defined by low earthen banks (Wth 2m; H 0.3m) but it is open on the SE side. This feature is located at a corner of one of the platforms and close to a pond.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 22 November 2021
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage