ME01863 - RATHREGAN - Barrow - mound barrow

You are here Home  > Barrow - mound barrow >  ME01863 - RATHREGAN - Barrow - mound barrow
Item image
Located on a slight NW-SE natural ridge that is unconnected with the NW-SE defunct railway line from Dublin to Athboy and Navan that is immediately to the NE. A NW-SE section of the Tolka River is c. 100m to the NE. This is depicted as a small circular feature described as a ‘Fort’ on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and as a hachured feature on the 1908 edition. It is a circular grass-covered mound (diam. of base 22m ENE-WSW; H 1.5-1.8m) that has a grass-covered quarry (diam. of top 8-9m; max. D 1.1m) on top. There are traces of a fosse (Wth of base c. 2m; ext. D 0.3m) at SW, and a straight outer bank at SW (Wth of base 7m; ext. H 0.9m; L c. 15m) and NW (L c. 20m) that might be unconnected with the barrow. The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research. Date of upload: 10 July 2007 Amended: 22 November 2021

Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage

Monument Details

Address:
RATHREGAN, Meath
GPS:
53.4714, -6.53158
SMRS:
ME044-023----
what3words:
bursts.unchanging.vinyl

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review