Situated on a slight bluff on the flood-plain of the Broadmeadow stream with a W-E section of it c. 30m to the N, and Killegland parish church (ME045-004----) is c. 340m to the S. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) the small parish and town of Killeglan consisted of 360 acres owned by Patrick Segrave of Killeglan in 1640, and on the premises were ‘a castle, a stone house with outhouses, a church, a mill and divers cabins’ (Simington 1940, 98). The castle is depicted as a tower with a chimney stack, probably representing a tower house, on the S side of the river on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony map of Ratoath (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/), and as a small square feature (dims c. 5m x c. 5m) described as ‘Killegland Castle’ on the 1835 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. There is a circular, grass-covered mound (diam. c. 16m; H 0.5m at S to c. 2.5m at N) with a broad hollow (Wth c. 5m; D 0.5m) on the E side curving around to the N side of the mound as a berm, which probably represents quarrying. There is no visible evidence of a masonry structure.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 13 July 2013Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.