Located on a fairly level landscape. This is depicted as a circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 20m) and described as a ‘Mound’ in gothic script on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It is delineated as a small D-shaped hachured feature representing the W quadrant of a circle with connecting trenches on the straight NE and SE sides on the 1908 edition. This barrow is reduced to its W quadrant and in 1969 (SMR file) it was a grass-covered D-shaped mound (dims of base 17m NE-SW; 14.5m NW-SE; H 1m) with a ditch (Wth of top 8m) at NE and another (Wth of top 4m; D 1.8m at NW; 1m at SW) at SE where there was an outer bank (Wth 2m; ext. H 0.3m). Its visible profile had been removed by 2012 (OSAP). (Feeley 2001, 32, No. 7)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 17 December 2021Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage