Situated on a fairly level landscape. This is represented as a large circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 65) abutting a N-S field bank at E on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as ‘Muckerstown Fort’ in gothic lettering and as a more irregularly shaped hachured feature on the 1908 edition. This is a D-shaped grass-covered area (dims 42.5m NNW-SSE; 34m WNW-ESE) defined by an earthen bank (Wth of base 8-9m; int. H 0.4m at NNW to 0.7m at SSE; ext. H 1.3-1.4m), and an outer fosse best preserved (Wth of top 7m; Wth of base 1.5m; ext. H 0.4m) SE-SW. The straight side (L 40m) is at W and topsoil may have been removed from parts of the interior. There are gaps in the bank at NE (Wth 5.7m), S (Wth 4.3m) and WSW (Wth 2.3m). (Feeley 2001, 57-8, No. 56)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 17 December 2021
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage