Located at the E edge of Derryhinch bog, which is largely in Co. Westmeath. In 1932 a section of a N-S togher about 90 feet (c. 27m) long was exposed at a maximum depth of 8 feet (c. 2.45m), and investigated. It had a similar construction of five haphazard layers of re-used oak planks laid down alternatively across and along the line of the road. This was topped by a gravel layer and birch rods or brushwood pinned in position and forming a roadway c. 12 feet (c. 3.65m) wide, although the underlying timber structure was wider. A socketed spearhead was found amongst the planks, although not during the excavation, but a Late Bronze Age date is indicated. (Macalister 1932)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 August 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage