Situated on a S-facing slope overlooking Rossan Bog. A D-shaped embanked enclosure (ext. dims c. 45-50m N-S; c. 35m E-W) truncated by a N-S roadway at W is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’. It is depicted as a triangular hachured feature on the 1912 edition, and it is described locally as a fort before its removal c. 1950. It was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a low D-shaped and grass-covered rise (dims 40m NE-SW; 35m NW-SE) defined by a slight scarp (Wth c. 5m; H 0.2m) and it was probably a rath.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 August 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.