Situated on a slight E-W ridge. According to the Civil Survey (1654-56) Sir Luke FitzGerald owned 166 acres at Ardnemullan and Aghnegalliah in 1640, and on the premises was ‘one castle’ (Simington 1940, 188). The castle is depicted on the Down Survey (1656-8) map of Moyfenrath barony as two, two storey towers, one with a chimney, connected by a wing (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). The SW corner of a rectangular structure (H c. 4m) that was probably a tower house survived up to May 1985 when it was pulled down.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 July 2016Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage