You are hereHome >Church > ME01910 - TICROGHAN - Church
Located on a level landscape with slightly lower ground just to the W, and it is c. 40m NNW of the N bastion of the fort (ME046-010----). It is marked as a rectangular building (dims c. 10m x c. 5m) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Chapel of Ease’, with the added word ‘vault’ in italic lettering. This was probably an estate or private chapel attached to the FitzGerald manor of Ticroghan (ME046-010001-) as it does not appear on visitation lists, unless its name is not recognised. It probably also served the garrison church of the bastioned fort (ME046-010----), but no references to it have been discovered and it was probably defunct by the early nineteenth century or earlier.
The chapel is a rectangular, ivy-covered building (int. dims 11.1m E-W; 5.05m N-S) that survives almost complete (H of long walls 2.5-2.8m), with a round-headed doorway (Wth 1.02m; H 2m) towards the W end of the S wall. There is a square two-light window (Wth 0.93m; H 0.92m) with the central mullion removed in the W wall, and a similar inaccessible window with a square hood-moulding externally towards the E end of the S wall. There is also a large pointed E window, which might be inserted but it is overgrown with ivy. A barrel-vaulted crypt or burial vault (int. dims 3m E-W; 2.35m N-S; H 1.6m plus) with wicker-centering in its roof is under the floor at the centre. It is accessed by steps from the W and the interior is strewn with rubble. The chapel is within a D-shaped graveyard (dims c. 35m E-W; c. 30m N-S) defined by masonry walls with the straight side (L c. 26m) at N and it has a few 19th century headstones, one commemorating Robert Mahon with the date 1867.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 8 April, 2014
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.