There was a FitzGerald manor and castle at Ticroghan in the sixteenth century. It was held by Oliver, the half-brother of the Earl of Kildare, in 1528 (Valkenburg 1970, 534). In 1557 ‘the site of the manor and castle of Tecroghane, part of the possessions of Walter FitzGerald, attained’, was leased to John Parker, Keeper of the Rolls (Nicholls 1994, 1, 315). Walter may have been implicated in the rebellion of Silken Thomas in 1535, but even though the FitzGeralds were restored to some Meath possession in 1564, Ticroghan was excluded (ibid. 2, 154-6). In 1571 the manor of Ticroghan was leased to Anthony Lowe and in 1574 to the Earl of Ormonde (ibid. 2, 224, 326), but in 1599 Edward, the son of George FitzGerald who had been slain by rebels, was restored to Ticroghan (ibid. 3, 345-6). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Sir Luke FitzGerald owned 425 acres at Techraghan in 1640 and on the premises were ‘a castle, a mill and divers cabins and farm houses’ (Simington 1940, 187). He also owned 600 acres in Clonard parish at Moorelicke (73 acres), Ballinibarny (100), Tonlaught (120), Ardnemullan and Aghelliah (166), Kilvardan (90) and Rossan (52) (ibid. 186-8). During the siege of Drogheda by Cromwell in 1649, the Earl of Ormonde was at Ticroghan (Simms 1973-4) but in 1650 Lady FitzGerald, a daughter of Sir Luke, resisted an attack by Cromwellian forces but did surrender (Wilde 1850, 64).
At some point the bastioned fort was constructed around what was probably a tower house, and Ticroghan continued to be garrisoned into the reign of King Charles II (Kerrigan 1995, 97). The date of this structure is not known, but it might have been built by Ormonde in 1649. The fort is a rectangular grass-covered area (dims c. 130m NW-SE; 100m plus NE-SW) with raised diamond-shaped bastions surviving at the N and the E angles. The N bastion (max. dims c. 32m N-S; c. 27m E-W) is defined by scarps (at NW: H 2.1m) and an outer flat-bottomed fosse (at NW: Wth of top 11.4m; Wth of base 3.15m; ext. D 1.5m). On the NW side of the enclosure where the earthworks are more complete there is a bank (Wth of base 10m; Wth of top 6; int. H 1m; ext. H 1.8m), an outer flat-bottomed fosse (Wth of top 11.7m; Wth of base 4.6m; ext. D 0.6m) and a low outer bank (Wth of base 11m; Wth of top 6m; ext. H 0.6m). There is evidence of a lunette in the fosse at the NE side as a D-shaped platform (dims c. 10m x c. 2m) against the outer face of the inner bank, with the fosse sweeping outwards around it. There are traces of an entrance causeway (Wth c. 5m; H c. 0.3m) just NE of the E bastion.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 16 August 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.