Located on a local summit in a gently undulating landscape. A farmyard described as ‘Fort alias Dancing Green’ is depicted on a manuscript map (21 F 15 (15)) in the National Library of Ireland which is undated but probably early nineteenth century in date. A curved field bank is represented S-W-N on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map and this is replaced by a laneway circumventing the area SE-W-N on the 1912 edition. This is a raised circular grass-covered area (diam. 51m E-W; 48m NNE-SSW) defined by a broad scarp (Wth 7m; H 1.2m) SW-NW and a field bank on top of the scarp (H c. 2m) N-SE but the perimeter is cut by a grass-covered quarry NW-N and a modern quarry (D c. 4m) SE-SW.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 12 August 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.