Situated on a fairly level landscape with the NW-SE Kilwarden River c. 170m to the S and c. 1.8km W of where the Kilwarden meets a SW-NE section of the River Boyne. The site of St Finnian's parish church and probably of the early monastery of St Finnian (ME047-007----) is within a subrectangular graveyard (max. dims c. 90m NE-SW; c. 38m NW-SE) defined by masonry walls at SW and NW and by earthen banks and trees on the other sides. The medieval font (ME047-007002-) was moved to the Roman Catholic church of St Finnian at Clonard village (ME047-020----), c. 725m to the W, in 1991. There is no evidence of ancient or medieval structures at the graveyard, apart from a face corbel in the tower of the now closed St Finnian's Church of Ireland church that was built in 1808, and a rectangular, flat-bottomed trough (ME047-007003-) of uncertain date and function. The headstones date generally from c. 1750 to c. 2003, but the graveslabs or headstones of John Hebie (1622) and Digby Waddingstone (1692) recorded by FitzGerald (1899) cannot be identified.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 15 April, 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.