Situated on a rise which is on the S-facing slope of a low W-E spur. An oval embanked enclosure is depicted only on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’. It was described in 1969 (SMR file) as a circular grass-covered area (diam. 59.5m N-S; 58m E-W) that sloped down to the SW defined by a scarp (at S: Wth 3.6m; H 2m; at SW: Wth 3.4m; H 1m) and intermittent traces of an outer fosse at SE, SW (Wth of top 3.5m; Wth of base 2.5m; ext. D 0.35m) and NW. The original entrance was not identified. It had largely been quarried away by 2005 apart from a tip at S (OSAP).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 August 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.