Situated on a rise in a level, low-lying landscape with the headwaters of a small NE-SW tributary of the SE-NW Blackwater River c. 50m to the NW. It was known locally as ‘Boyle’s Rath’ in the 1930s and a lot of folklore is associated with it (IFC Schools Collection, vol. 692, 248). This is a slightly raised oval and grass-covered area (dims 82m NE-SW; 48.5m NW-SE) defined by an earthen bank and outer fosse, which is missing NE-E where there are some old quarries. A natural NE-SW rib ridge runs through it. There is an in-turned entrance (Wth of base 3.25m) at E.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 14 August 2019
This monument is subject to a preservation order made under the National Monuments Acts 1930 to 2014 (PO no. 21/1977).Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.