Situated on a fairly level landscape. A subrectangular or D-shaped copse (dims c. 70m E-W; c. 40-60m N-S) with a curved edge at E is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described as a ‘Fort’, and it is depicted as a similar D-shaped feature on the 1912 edition. This is a subrectangular grass-covered area (dims 65m WNW-ESE; 57m NNE-SSW) defined by an earthen bank that is best preserved NE-E (Wth of base 4m; int. H 0.5m; ext. H 1.4m) and an outer drain. The perimeter is missing NW-NNE where farm building impinge on it, and there are modern entrances at N and SW. The perimeter was planted with deciduous trees in 1969 but these had been removed by 1985. It is probably a tree-ring as there was a farmhouse just to the N, the avenue of which with mature trees extends off to the NNE.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 August 2019
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.