Situated on a slight rise in a level landscape with Mulhussey church (ME049-011----), which probably served it as a private or estate chapel, c. 170m to the W. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Edward Hussey of Mulhussey owned 418 acres there in 1640, and on the premises were ‘a Castle, a house and a Mill with seven cottages’ (Simington 1940, 152). He also owned land at Pagistowne (114 acres) and Hardrestowne (302 acres) in Kilclone parish (ibid. 151-2). The SW angle with a base-batter and hammer-dressed quoins survives (H c. 3m) from a rectangular structure (ext. 13m N-S; 9.4 m E-W), the outline of which can be traced. The E gable of an eighteenth or nineteenth century house is built on the line of the W wall of what was probably a tower house, and a draw-bar socket from a doorway is evident in the S wall.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 13 July 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.