Located on a gentle S-facing slope. Earthworks of relict field banks and drains covering an area of about 12 acres (c. 5 ha) are visible on aerial photographs (GSIAP: N 605, 606) and some later series. The banks (Wth c. 2m; H c. 0.3m) and ditches (Wth c. 1-2m; D c. 0.2m) create some irregular fields (dims c. 60m x c. 30m to c. 100m x c. 70m) which are covered in cultivation ridges confined to individual fields. There are some wide linear spaces (Wth c. 5-10m) between fields that might be roadways. The defining features are best preserved at the SW angle of the area and some modern houses impinge on it. Archaeological testing (04E0764) by S. Linnane at the S edge of the area produced no related material (excavations.ie 2004:1193).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 27 August 2019
Amended: 9 June 2021
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage