Located on a level landscape with the W-E Rye Water, which forms the boundary with Co. Kildare, c. 200m to the S. A church at Mynclare (Moyglare) is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire., 5, 255). Ussher (1622) describes the church as in good repair but the chancel as ruined (Erlington 1847-64, 1, lxxvi). According to the Dopping (1682-5) and Royal (1693) visitations the parish church of Moyglare had been repaired, but the chancel was in ruins since 1641. The church was roofed with slates, the floor was clay and there was glass in the windows. In addition the graveyard was described as ‘well fenced’ (Ellison 1972, 4). This church continued in use until c. 1870 when St. Paul’s church, a four bay Church of Ireland church with an attached spire, was built. This is now a private dwelling within a subrectangular graveyard (dims c. 65m E-W; c. 40-60m N-S) defined by masonry walls. There is no evidence of the medieval structure.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 April, 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.