You are hereHome >Enclosure > ME01989 - BALLYMAGLASSAN - Enclosure
Situated on a NW-SE spur. A large circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 60m) described as a ‘Fort’ is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It is represented on the 1908 edition as a D-shaped hachured feature (ext. dims c. 65m NW-SE; c. 50m NE-SW) with the perimeter formed by a straight NW-SE drain at NE, and the interior is overlain by a NW-SE field bank. It had been removed by 1969 (SMR file) but traces of a D-shaped enclosure (int. dims c. 55m NW-SE; c. 30m NE-SW) defined by a fosse is visible on Google Images (24/03/2012; 27/06/2019).
See the attached enhanced view from Google Earth (27/06/2019)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Date of revision: 26 October 2021
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.