Situated on a gentle SW-facing slope, this feature is described as a ‘Moat’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a subcircular grass-covered mound (diam. of base 24m NE-SW; diam. of top 11.5m N-S; 11.3m E-W; ext. H 1.2m at NE to 1.8m at SW), with a slight outer bank (Wth c. 2m; H 0.2m) at NE. Archaeological testing (20E0014) by P. D. Sweetman (2020) in an area (dims c. 80m NW-SE; c. 80m NE-SW) immediately S of the monument failed to produce any related material.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Revised: 26 October 2021Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage