A castle at Vesingstowne (29) in Dunboyne parish and barony is marked on the Down Survey (1656-8) barony and parish maps (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/). It is represented as a large structure with towers, a chimney, and a large gateway. According to the Civil Survey (1654-6) Robert Rochford of Kilbride parish owned 170 acres there in 1640 including ‘an old Ruinous Castle, a decayed chaple and ten tenements’ (Simington 1940, 126). Within the large parish he also owned land at Ballymacolly (73 acres), Castletown (Caulstown 96 acres), and Cornellstowne (110 acres) (ibid. , 117, 126). The castle is depicted as a fragment of a wall (L c. 5m E-W) on the 1836 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. Banks and scarps, some connected with field drainage and a piece of fallen masonry are the only indication of the monument.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 10 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.