Situated on a slight rise in a fairly level landscape, with a small canalised N-S stream c. 60m to the W. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 40m) described as a ‘Fort’ in gothic lettering is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map, and an oval hachured feature (dims c. 65m E-W; c. 50m N-S) incorporating straight sections of a field bank at NE and SE is represented on the 1908 edition. A house had been built on it by 1985, although a low scarp was visible S-SW. Archaeological testing (07E0534) by E. Corcoran on the likely E part of the monument produced no related material (excavations.ie 2007:1417).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 29 October 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.