Located on a slight N-facing slope, and on what was the demesne of Ballymacoll House, the site of which is on higher ground c. 120m to the N. The mound is depicted and annotated in gothic lettering as ‘Mound’ on the 1836 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a circular scrub-covered mound (diam. of base c. 12m; diam. of top 6m; H 2m) with some trees. It is defined by a fosse (Wth of base 4-5m; D c. 0.8m) with a causeway (Wth 2m) across it at NW. The top of the mound is occupied by the base of the masonry walls (Wth 1m) of a circular structure that was probably a gazebo or tea-house.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 29 October 2021Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage