Situated on a gently undulating landscape. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 80m) described as a ‘Fort’ is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map, and it is depicted as a circular platform (diam. c. 70m) with an outer fosse or ditch on the 1908 edition. It had been removed a few years before it was inspected in 1969 (SMR file) and while its visible profile had been removed it was still visible as a circular grass-covered area (int. diam. c. 58m) separated by the parched area of a bank (Wth 5m) from a lush outer fosse (Wth 4m). The entrance was not identifiable.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 29 October 2021Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage