Located at the N end of a NE-SW ridge and c. 400m SW of the medieval parish church of Kilbride (ME045-025----). It is depicted as a circular feature (diam. c. 20m) and described in gothic lettering as ‘Kilbride Moat’ on the 1835 and 1908 editions of the OS 6-inch map. It was described in 1942 (SMR file) as a tumulus ’20 feet (c. 6m) high by 50 feet (c. 15m) in diameter surrounded by a circular rath 50 yards (c. 45m) in diameter.’ Its profile had been removed by 1969 as the result of a quarry encroaching from the SW and even the outer enclosure, which was probably on the outer edge of a fosse, was no longer evident. Archaeological testing (99E0580) by F. O'Carroll c. 200m to the W produced no related material (excavations 1999:691).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July 2007
Amended: 5 November 2021
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage