From Bradley and King (1985, 45): Chest tomb. The Preston-Plunkett tomb c. 1450-1500. The surrounds of the chest-tomb are in the S aisle of St. Cianáin’s church. The N side has six ogee-headed niches with floriated heads displaying five coats of arms, including Preston and Plunkett, Preston and Bellew, St. Lawrence and Bellew, and the arms of the Passion. The S side is similar to the N but with the Bermingham and FitzGerald arms. The E end has four ogee-headed niches depicting a Crucifixion between Our Lady and St. John; St. Michael with shield and dragon below. The W end is similar to the E but showing a mitred bishop (?St. Patrick), St. Catherine, and Archbishop (? St. Thomas Becket) and St, Peter. Hunt (1974, 204-05) compares this tomb chest to those at Dunsany, Rathmore and Howth, and it is evident that it belongs to the Pale group of sculptures.
Date of upload: 14 August, 2014
Amended: 18 August, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage