The church of St Michael (ME027-038011-) is situated at the S edge of a plateau at the edge of the flood-plain of the Nanny, which is c. 150m to the SE. There is a structure (ext. dims c. 4.3m E-W; c. 5m N-S) just to the W, which has been interpreted as a gateway (Bradley and King 1985, 48; Moore 1987, 166, No. 1694) but is more likely to be a tower of the church (Roycroft 2014). The ground floor has a barrel vault and a lintelled doorway on the S side leads to a newel stairs in a turret at the SW angle, while a pointed doorway at the E end on the S side now leads to a short passage.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 27 November, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage