Hugh de Lacy established a manor at Kells but its castle, probably a motte, was abandoned by 1176 (Orpen 1911-20, 2, 78). However, it is mentioned again in 1212 (Davies and Quinn 1941, 31), although its subsequent fate is not known. A description of the town in 1663 describes a stone and lime walled castle at the S end of Maudlin St., now Castle St. Two Headford estate maps dating from 1762 and 1817 show a castle opposite the Market Cross (Simms and Simms 1990, 2), and this may be the castle described by Isaac Butler in 1740 (Simington 1960, 234). It was removed by the 1830s when the Ordinance Survey mapped the town (Bradley and King 1985, 74).
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 9 June, 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.