The round tower is SW of the present Church of Ireland church and the likely site of the daimhliag. It is now incorporated into the masonry wall of the graveyard (ME017-04434-). It was extant in 1076 as in that year Murchadh O’Melaghlin, King of Tara, was murdered in it (Cogan 1862-70, 1, 41). It is constructed on a plinth resting on rock outcrop. The entrance doorway on the N side is 1.5m above the raised level of the graveyard and is round-arched and of sandstone. The tower (int. diam. 2.6m at the doorway) has five floors and has five pointed windows at the top. The conical cap is missing. (Barrow 1979, 168)
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 2 July, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.