From Potterton (2005, App. 13, 409-12)
At least fifty fragments of medieval masonry, mainly of window tracery, can be seen in the vicinity of the church of St Patrick (ME036-048012-). Most of the pieces have been gathered together and piled at the west end of the medieval chancel, but others are to be found underneath some of the table tombs in the graveyard, and several decorated pieces have been placed in the vestibule of the tower. Among the various slabs and pieces of masonry that have been assembled into a ‘fire-place’ are some window mullions with grooves for glazing. Two mullions are each decorated with an undulating branch of ivy and oak leaves in relief. A number of ogee-headed windows are also represented among the scattered vestiges, at least one of which was at least triple-light. There are also pieces of doorjambs and capitals as well as gable fragments and part of a carved stone drain or gutter. A number of worked sandstone blocks were reused in the construction of the west door of the tower.
In 1885 it was recorded (Butler 1854, 168) that ‘some years ago... the remains of another tomb and of a carved doorway [from Newtown Trim], for greater security were also inserted in the porch at the east end of Trim Church’. Butler also brought some decorated floor-tiles from Bective and others from Newtown Trim to St Patrick’s Church where he placed them in the wall of the vestry. In 1906 the tiles were still present (Anon. 1906, 449), but they are not visible today (2005). The ‘vestry’ of which Butler writes seems to be the ground floor of the tower, now used as an entrance porch. The present vestry was a later addition. In Butler’s time, the entrance to the church was through a door in the west wall of the nave. When the door was being blocked up, Butler took the opportunity to insert the piscina into the new wall.
A flat, perforated, rectangular stone, measuring 35cm in height and 40cm in maximum width, has been incorporated into the wall of a shed beside the Old Rectory across the road from St Patrick’s Church (Fig. 11.33). The left hand portion of the stone is missing and it appears that, when complete, the stone would have measured at least 50cm across. At what would have been the centre of the stone, the three tear-shaped holes form a triskele similar to those on the ‘Thomas A' Beckett stone’, above (Fig. 11.6). This piece may have functioned as a window or for ventilation. Its provenance is not known, but it may have been brought here from the church across the road. A number of comparable triskele stones are known from eldwhere in Ireland, such as the two at Coole, near Ferbane, and the one from Taghshinny, near Ballymahon, Co. Longford (Manning 1994, 24-5; Corlett 2001, 41).
Date of upload: 16 February, 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.