There is a sandstone cross in the graveyard S of the church that was erected in 1688 by Patrick Cruise and Catherine Dalton, according to an inscription on three sides. It is a ringed cross (H 2.23m; Wth 1.13m) with a shaft tapering from the bottom (dims 0.44m x 0.2m) where it is set in a base (dims 0.61m x 0.62m), only the top of which is visible. The ring (ext. diam. 0.96m; int. diam. 0.91-0.93m) is plain but a Madonna and Child occupy the shaft on the E side while a Crucifixion (Harbison 2000, 68) occupies the whole of the W face. All the carving on the cross is in false relief. (King 1987, 302)
This is a monument in state guardianship: No. 264.
See the attached images of the cross
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 10 July, 2014
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage