Outside the N wall of Rathmore church (ME024-017001-) is a cross that was erected at the behest of Sir Christopher Plunkett and his wife, Katherine Preston, in 1519. It consists of the base (dims 0.6m x 0.5m; H 0.33m) with a Latin inscription and part of the lower shaft (dims 0.22m x 0.15m; H 0.44m) with three figures in niches, and part of the upper shaft (dims 0.32m x 0.2m; H 0.32m) with raised mouldings that might be from another cross (King 1984, 101-02). (FitzGerald 1908, 437-8; Leask 1933, 164)
See attached image.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 24 June, 2014
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage