Dopping specifically records the presence of the font at Rathmore fortified church (ME024-017001-) in his Visitation books (1682-5) (Ellison 1972, 12), but it is now reduced to the stem (diam. 0.38m; H 0.55m) of a highly decorated font that was displayed in the church (Leask 1933, 160-1). Its eight panels depict the baptism of Christ together with ecclesiastics and saints in ogee-headed niches (Roe 1968, 92-99). It was unlawfully removed in May 2013, but quickly recovered. It is not present at the moment while its future safety is considered, but a fragment of the bowl depicting two angles is attached to the N wall of the nave.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 24 June, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.