Situated on a rise of a gentle S-facing slope at the centre of the mound (ME049-014----). The well is known as St Bride’s Well and it was revered in the 19th century when it was described as having a diameter of 12 feet (c. 3.75m) (Cogan 1862-70, 2, 361). It was a small natural spring (diam. c. 1m) at the base of the stump of an ash tree in 1969 (SMR file) but is has been conserved since 1985 and is now a stone-lined well (diam. 0.85m; max. D 1.75m) with water approached by a path and steps from the N while the mound is less prominent. The well is surrounded by a paved path (Wth c. 1.5m) and within an enclosure (diam c. 5m) defined by a hedge and a picket fence, and there are two young trees outside the enclosure, one with rags.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 11 September, 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.