Situated on a broad rise with a NNE-SSW section of the Castlejordan River c. 225m to the E. It is located c. 1km N of where the Castlejordan River meets the W-E Yellow River, which is a tributary of the River Boyne and forms the boundary with County Offaly. A NW-SE section of the Yellow River is c. 600m to the SW, and the remains are c. 50m NE of the mound (ME052-002----). This structure is depicted as a rectangular enclosure on the 1908 ed. of the OS 6-inch map. The centre of a grass-covered structure has been excavated (dims 12m N-S; 7.3m E-W; D 0.8-1.6m) with the inner face of the W wall (Wth 1.1m; ext. H 0.5m) exposed, revealing a buried relieving arch. Traces of the inner face of the E wall are also evident (int. dim. 6.7m E-W) with an inserted wall (Wth 0.5m) extending W from it.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 15 August 2015Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.