A fragment of a late medieval cross shaft with figure sculpture in false relief on two faces (Moore 1893, 62). is in the graveyard of St Mary's Church of Ireland church. The font (ME025-044009-) is within the church. It is described by King (1984, 112) as:
Navan II Material: fossiliferous limestone. Dims Shaft: H 0.6m; 0.34m x 0.2m.
This possible shaft fragment, rectangular in section, is decorated in relief. It is cemented into a base which is buried in the ground and is not in good condition. There is a figure sculpture on two faces in false relief and there are three mouldings in high relief on the other two sides. No inscription. W: A bearded ecclesiastic wearing an alb, dalmatic and chasuble. He appears to be giving a blessing with his right hand. E: A female figure, possibly St Catherine, crowned and holding a sword in the right hand, set in a panel with the remains of shafting on the right. The figure wears a long pleated robe and has long hair or a veil under a crown.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Date of revision: 16 April, 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.