Situated in an undulating landscape. The parish church of Killallon (ME022-012----) is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 75m E-W; c. 60m N-S) defined by a slight earthen bank inside masonry walls, which form the townland boundary with Loughanderg on every side except the S. According to Dopping’s visitation (1682-5) the church and chancel were ruined, although the graveyard was enclosed (Ellison 1975, 9). Archaeological excavation (93E0027) of the earthen bank revealed a stone wall (Wth 0.45m; H 0.5m) at it is core (Meenan 1995). The graveyard is now extended to the S (dims c. 75m E-W; c. 25m N-S), and the motte (ME022-010----) is c. 90m SW of the church.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 16 December, 2014Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage