Over the doorway in the S range of the College is an armorial plaque (H 0.6m; Wth 0.5m) in Dundry depicting the arms of France and England quartered, which was the Royal arms adopted by Edward III (Reign 1327-1377). The red dragon was added as a supporter by the Tudors in acknowledgement of their Welsh origin, and a stone (ME019-060011-) set into the inner face of the W wall of the S range with part of a dragon is probably part of the original display. The other supporter might have been provided by the Fleming arms (ME019-060012-) set into the inner face of the W wall of the cloister, and the whole display would have proclaimed the institution as one founded by the Flemings and loyal to the Tudor dynasty.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 28 January 2021Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.