The site of the medieval parish church of Drumcondra is situated on a rise in an undulating landscape. A church at Drumgorrach is listed in the ecclesiastical taxation (1302-06) of Pope Nicholas IV (Cal. doc. Ire. 5, 261), and Nicholas Fleming is recorded as the pastor here in 1388 (Cogan 1862 70, 2, 294). Ussher (1622) describes the church as in reasonable repair while the chancel was undergoing repairs (Erlington 1847-64, 1, xcii). According to Dopping’s visitation (1682 5) the church was dedicated to St. Peter and Robert Parkinson was the rector but the church had been ruinous since 1641 and it was not enclosed (Ellison 1973, 5). The present Church of Ireland church was built in 1766 (Lewis 1837, 1, 514) but it is now closed.
There is no evidence of the medieval church apart from a cross-slab and a font in a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 68m NW-SE; c. 40m N-S; at E to c. 56m NNE-SSW at W) defined by masonry walls. The cross-slab is described (Bradley and King 1985, 36) as a sandstone slab (dims 0.58m x 0.32m; T 0.12m) with a ringed cross cut deeply into the stone leaving the quadrants raised. The font is rectangular (ext. dim. 0.57m; H 0.4m) with chamfered corners (Wth 0.12m) and under panels, and has a circular, flat bottomed basin (diam. 0.47m; D 0.27m). There are holes on the rim for a cover (Roe 1968, 114), but it has now been moved to a position outside the church at Siddan (ME006-056004-). The motte and bailey (ME006-011----) is c. 200m to the SW.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 12 December, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.