Situated on a rise in a gently undulating landscape, it is known locally as Kilglass burial ground. At the Suppression in 1540 the abbey of Clonard (ME047-007----) owned 60 acres at Kyleclass but there is no mention of a church (White 1943, 310). In 1641 110 acres at Longwood were owned by Nichols Plunket of Longwood, and on the premises were a castle, a mill and a weir but, there is no mention of a church (Simington 1940, 192). A graveyard is depicted on Larkin’s map (1812) and a rectangular enclosure described as a graveyard is depicted on the 1836 and 1912 editions of the OS 6-inch map. This is a raised rectangular area (dims c. 53m NE-SW; c. 30m NW-SE; H c. 2.4-2.6m) retained by masonry walls (H 1-1.4m). It contains headstones dating from 1724 to the 1950s, including the grave of Tomás O hAllamain, a volunteer who died in Dublin at Easter 1916, but there is no evidence that there was ever a church here and there is no record of one.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 13 August 2019Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.