Situated on a slight E-facing slope, with the SW-NE River Boyne in its steep-sided valley c. 450m to the E and S. The round tower (ext. diam. 4.98m; H 26.6m) with a round-headed doorway c. 3m above ground level facing E which is surmounted by crucifixion scene (Barrow 1979, 162-6) is at the W edge of a subrectangular graveyard (dims c. 45m NE-SW; c. 40m NW-SE) defined by masonry walls. The tower was consolidated in 1841 by a local landowner, who is probably responsible for the lack of openings and the flat cap at the top. Issac Butler writing c. 1749 describes ‘four windows under a pyramid’ (Butler 1892, 126).
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
See attached general view and view of the doorway.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload/revision: 27 June, 2014
Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage