Situated on a rise in a level landscape with the S-N Hurley River c. 70m to the E. A nineteenth century illustration of Athcarne castle (Anon. 1833) depicts it as a four storey tower house, which has a two storey house attached at the SW side. The house has a return to the NW at the SW end and a large chimney stack rising from the first floor on the NW external wall. Another view (Grose 1791, 2, 33) shows two returns at the opposite (SE) side of the house. The tower house continued to be occupied into the nineteenth century and was considerably altered by the insertion of large windows on the upper floors, but the attached house was replaced by a new wing after 1833 that is still extant as a ruin. The heraldic stone with the date 1590 (ME033-004002-) is built high in the external face of the SE wall of this structure at its S end.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
This is a National Monument in state ownership, No. 539.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 6 July 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.