The medieval parish church of Athboy (ME029-023003-) is within a subrectangular or D-shaped graveyard (max. dims c. 90m NE-SW; c. 70m NW-SE) defined by masonry walls, that on the straight SE side having part of the town wall (ME029-023001-) at its base (L c. 75m). The 16th century double effigy tomb (ME029-023004-) that had been in the graveyard at the base of the church tower is now displayed in the vestry at the W end of the Church of Ireland church of St James. The Talbot graveslab (ME029-023005-) and the Cusack - Lutwidge chest-tomb (ME029-023015-) are in the graveyard, but other inscribed memorials that were recorded in the 1740s (Butler 1892-4) cannot be identified.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 2 January, 2015Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage