Situated at the crest of a S-facing slope with a WNW-ESE section of the River Boyne c. 250m to the S. St Patrick’s medieval parish church (ME036-048012-) is within a rectangular graveyard (dims c. 70m E-W; c. 50m N-S) defined by masonry walls, and Dopping (1682-5) records the graveyard as enclosed by a stone wall at that time (Ellison 1972, 8). Its headstones date from c. 1750-2010. Archaeological monitoring (05E0537) of development works immediately to the E recorded the inhumed remains of 31 individuals that were laid supine W-E with the heads at W (Kiernan 2005, 2010). These would be part of the graveyard. Archaeological testing (10E0239) immediately S of the graveyard produced no related material or medieval stratigraphy (Sweetman 2013).
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 16 February, 2015
Amended: 9 July, 2019Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage