ME02690 - BALTRASNA - Fulacht fia

You are here Home  > Fulacht fia >  ME02690 - BALTRASNA - Fulacht fia
Item image
Situated on low ground in a gently undulating, low-lying landscape with a spring c. 6m to the SW. Archaeological testing (03E1361) by D. Bonner identified two burnt mounds in Area 15 of the N2 Finglas to Ashbourne road and bypass (excavations.ie 2003: 1361) which were completely excavated (excavations.ie 2004:1179) by C. Murray under the same licence. This is a circular trough (diam. 1.2m x 1.2m; max. D 0.3m) with a hearth 1.15m to the NE visible as a spread of oxidized clay (dims 3.75m x 2.03m) outside the oval mound (dims 6.1m E-W; 4.5m; max. T 0.13m) of broken and burnt stone. The basal fill of the trough was a silty sand with burnt stone beneath the remains of a wooden plank. A covering of clay (T 0.08m) sealed the mound and formed the upper level of the trough. No artefacts were recovered. The fulacht fia (ME045-030----) is 43m to the NE. (Murray 2008) Compiled by: Michael Moore Date of upload: 17 December 2021

Description Source: Department of Housing, Local Government & Heritage

Monument Details

Address:
BALTRASNA, Meath
GPS:
53.4935, -6.38556
SMRS:
ME045-031----
what3words:
vending.shutdowns.adopting

Nearby Images - Geograph.ie

Nearby Objects - Europeana


Close Reviews

Leave a Review