Located on a level landscape. Sir James Dillon, the eldest son of Sir Lucas Dillon of Newtown and Moymet, became the first Earl of Roscommon in 1622 (Conwell 1873, 378-9). According to the Civil Survey (1654-6), the Earl, a Protestant, owned 210 acres at Moymet in Navan barony in 1640, and the property included ‘a Castle, a Church ruinated, a stone house, an open Quarry, and an orchard.’ (Simington 1940, 204).
The house was described (Conwell 1873, 369) as ‘122 feet (c. 37m) in length, and 43 feet ( c. 13m) wide, the principal walls being 5.5 feet (c. 1.7m) thick. Seven large windows can still be counted in the southern portion of the ruins’. It survives today as the remains of a barrel-vaulted chamber (surviving L 11.7m E-W; int. Wth 4.4m) situated c. 15m W of the tower house (ME030-023----). The gatehouse (ME030-022----) is c. 80m to the NNE and the parish church of Moymet (ME030-21----) is c. 80m to the NW.
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 28 June 2016Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.