Situated on a low rise in a broad bend of the River Boyne with a SW-NE section of the river c. 150m to the SE. The Cistercian abbey of the Beatitudes (ME031-026----) was suppressed in 1537 when the estate was leased by Thomas Agard, a vice Treasurer of the Mint, and purchased from the Crown by Andrew Wyse in 1552. At some stage a fortified tower house (ext. dims c. 11m E-W; c. 10m N-S) was built at the SW angle of the cloister over the vaulted chambers of the 15th century on the ground floor. There were three upper floors, each with large rectangular but now plain window openings on the S and W walls and fireplaces in the N and E walls, The entrance is a lintelled doorway in the projecting tower at the SE angle at the first floor, and a newel stairs in the projecting tower at the SW angle communicated between the floors. (Leask 1916, 55-6)
The above description is derived from the published 'Archaeological Inventory of County Meath' (Dublin: Stationery Office, 1987). In certain instances the entries have been revised and updated in the light of recent research.
This is a National Monument in state guardianship, No. 187.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of revision: 15 January 2015
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.