Situated on rise which is on a gentle S-facing slope. A circular embanked enclosure (ext. diam. c. 50m) is depicted on the 1836 edition of the OS 6-inch map where it is described in gothic lettering as a ‘Fort’, and as a small field is represented on the 1908 edition. It is known locally as McInerney’s Fort’, which is probably referring to the drystone wall (max. T 2.7m; max. int. H 1m; max. ext. H 1.5m) enclosing a circular area (int. diam. c. 41m) with an entrance gap (Wth of base 1.3m) at E. Inside the wall is a grass- covered area with some scrub (int. diam. c. 23m; ext. diam. c. 35m) defined by a grass-covered earth and stone spread (Wth c. 3-4m; max. ext. H 0.8m) with an old quarry at SW, but an original entrance is not identified. At the centre is a hut-site evident as a subcircular area (int. dims 6.7m N-S; 5m E-W) defined by an earth and stone bank (Wth c. 1-3m; int. H 0.1m; ext. H 0.4m) with a possible entrance at NNW. Just 2m N of the hut-site is the probable base of a sweat-house evident as a circular area (int. diam. 1.2m) defined by an internal stone face and with an opening at E. The area is crossed by relict field walls and a rectangular structure (int. dims 5.4m N-S; 4.8m E-W) just SE of the hut-site could be related to these.
Compiled by: Michael Moore
Date of upload: 2 November 2018
Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.