From King (1984, 103): A shaft fragment with a tenon at the base, decorated in false relief. Each face has figure sculpture and there are no inscriptions. 1st: Crucifixion. Christ is wearing a very stylised perizonium and there are two small figures at the foot of the cross who could either be Mary and John or the sponge and lance bearers. 2nd: Possibly a depiction of the Virgin and Child. She is wearing a pleated tunic and holds the child in her arms. He appears to be holding a circular object in his right hand. 3rd: A bearded ecclesiastic wearing a pleated alb and chasuble. 4th: St. Andrew wearing a pleated tunic and holding a large saltire cross.
This cross was not noticed by Westropp (1901, 405, 431) but was subsequently noted by FitzGerald (1913, 145) and Trench (1976, 31). A date early in the 16th century is suggested.‘
The cross was missing during the 1970s and 1980s, but was rediscovered at St. Erc’s Hermitage in 1985. It was presented by Lord Henry Mountcharles to an Taisce, who arranged to have it displayed at the Slane branch (ME019-079----) of the Meath County Library (Irish Times, 26/04/1985, 7).
Date of upload: 15 July, 2014Description Source: National Monuments Service, Department of Arts, Heritage Regional, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs.